Many majors at DSC require the students to partake in an internship programme in order to graduate. This is to allow certain individuals the opportunity to flourish in the work force to obtain a first hand experience for what’s to come in the future. Some of these majors include:
Hospitality Studies-This programme requires ALL hospitality students to partake in an internship programme, organized to prepare future employers of the hospitality industry. Intense training will be conducted in order to formulate a vigorous worker of the industry. There are many places within this industry who supports the hospitality department at the Dominica State College enough to offer our students an internship opportunity. These places include hotels, Dominica Hotel & Tourism Association, and many other places.
Office Administration-This department offers an internship opportunity to each student in the office administration field. These students will be expected to display everything they have learnt throughout their semesters at the college in a stern working environment.
Tourism Studies-Similar to the programme conducted for the hospitality department, the tourism students obtain hands-on experience due to the commitment of the tourism department to enforce a stirn internship programme where students work in tourism related offices typically within the last school year of the students. Some of these places include travel agencies, Discover Dominica Authority, Dominica Festival Committee and more.
Also, through the hands of the Student Services at DSC, many students from numerous majors will also be given the opportunity to excel at an internship programme throughout the school year.
Create Caribbean Institute is a non-profit research based institution which offer academic services to students in the digital humanities field, at the Dominica State College. They also offer academic research support to various individuals interested in the technological programme. At the college where the institute is based, interns will be expected to prepare research gatherings for numerous projects, preferably related to their majors at the college. The skills required of an intern in order to formulate these projects will be taught by the director and founder of the institute, through the course Digital Humanities.
There are a variety of majors Create Caribbean considers to be idle majors in order to join the Create Caribbean team, although other majors will be considered:
*Information Technology/Computer Science
*Tourism and Hospitality Studies
Academic requirements of the program:
- Minimum GPA of 2.5 must be maintained throughout duration of the internship
- Completion (or audit*) of HIS 115 (Digital Humanities Research) elective course during academic program at Dominica State College.
- Students must matriculate for a minimum of 12 credit hours each semester.
- Students must exhibit good conduct on campus and adhere to all school rules and guidelines, and display professionalism in all contexts pertaining to the work of the Institute.
- Students must be available for a minimum of 5 hours a week to work at the Create Caribbean office and lab on assigned research projects.
Duties of the interns are as follows:
- Collaborate on tasks associated with one or more research projects during each semester for a minimum of 5 hours per week.
- Conduct promotion of Create Caribbean programs and activities (sometimes on weekends)
- Attend and lead workshops for Create and Code curriculum children’s workshops (sometimes on weekends)
- Provide administrative support – data entry, reception, filing and sales – to the Create Caribbean management and support staff.
- Write periodic blogs about their projects and tasks for the Interns’ Blog page.